(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

Tim Walters walters at doubtfulpalace.com
Mon Jun 4 19:06:19 PDT 2007

aaron wrote:
> I am glad to see some Vance readers around here.  I, too, wish I could
> have purchased the VIE, and I still sometimes fantasize about
> having those lovely volumes here on my bookshelf.  I have heard some
> negative comments regarding these books, however (excepting the price).

I ordered a copy of the sample volume as a gift for a friend, and it was
so ugly I almost didn't give it to him. Eventually I came to my senses
and realized that, like most people, he's not as much of a book design
snob as I am and probably would like it fine. But I lost all interest in
buying it for myself--I'd rather stick with my paperbacks.

Coincidentally, I re-read the Lyonesse trilogy last week, and enjoyed it
quite a bit, with a couple of caveats:

--the last book is badly paced--it moves along langorously for the first
three-quarters or so, then rushes to fit all the plot points in before
the end, going so far as to dispose of a major character off-stage.

--Vance's highly artificial style, especially his dialog consisting
largely of exquisitely euphemistic negotiations, gets a little tiresome
over the course of a long trilogy. One begins to wish for characters
capable of ordinary conversation.

>      Also, the other day, I read about the author Michael Shea and how
> he wrote a sequel to The Eyes of the Overworld.  He then went on to
> write a few books about a character named Nifft the Lean who is said to
> be Cugel-esque.

The Nifft books are highly entertaining--not as well-crafted as Vance's,
I would say, but even more bizarrely imaginative.

--

Tim Walters | The Doubtful Palace | http://doubtfulpalace.com