(urth) The Distant Suns of Gene Wolfe

aaron aaronsingleton at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 19:11:39 PDT 2007

--Vance's highly artificial style, especially his dialog consisting
largely of exquisitely euphemistic negotiations, gets a little tiresome
over the course of a long trilogy. One begins to wish for characters
capable of ordinary conversation.

Who was it that said, "I like Vance except for his wooden dialogue." To
which the other man responded:
"Not wooden.  Carved."
But I can understand how it could wear thin on some readers after a long
trilogy.  Wolfe seems to be much more flexible with his writing than Vance
ever was.  That is another reason the two writers complement one another so
well.