(urth) Confussion about Sev/Pas/Silk/Typhon/Able

ALEX GREENBERG agreenberg at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 29 16:00:14 PST 2006

I've always felt there was a hint of "Thomas Covenant morbidity" in Able - especially the ambulance dream.

  Doesn't answer your question, but anyway.

Michael Dale <undergod_13 at hotmail.com> wrote:
  I have read through the archive since its begining (only reading the
articles that appeard appealing which was about 1/10 of them) which took me
about oh... 5 hours.

Now here are some questions about some theories I read, and current theories
that I want put to rest:

1) Who exactly is the father and mother of Severain?
- Is he a clone of Typhon (I doubt it)
- Its a better bet that he is a child of one of the Masters of the Order
for Truth and Penance
- My favorite theory is that by the time he starts writting tBotNS that
his memory has utterly been decimated by having multiple personaliites and
the memories of countless Autarchs crammed into his head... and thus what he
can remember of his past is a mixture of all the Autarchs memories
(expecially about his childhood)... which would explain why his memory of
his childhood is actually very similar to Ymar the first Autarch. This is
also the least plausable

Next question

2) What exactly is special about Silk's DNA?
- Is he a clone of Typhon
- Is he a clone of Severain (Silk is a member of the Order for Truth and
Penance... and Typhon did have access to Severain's DNA after his guards
roughed him up some...)
- Maybe he is just genetically supperior... Perhaps Tussah could have
left a better hint... if only his will had said "I want this kid that I
found in a test tube labelled [Prophet/Conciliator that Escaped Typhon's
Palace]"

It wouldn't be too far fetched to assume that Typhon added Severain to the
list of embrios after being impressed with his disappearing act.

Next Question

3) Remora once talks to Queztal about the Garden of Eve it seems... how far
into the future is it when the Whorl is launched? Exactly what major
catastrophes have happend before then (poles flipped... flooding... sun
death)

Final Question (from The Wizard)

4) Able's dreams are from people that are dying... is he really just a
creation of the Aelf that took hold of the first death dream it had from
Parkas String?

Now to respond to some things I read:

1) Why did Typhon make then Whorl with STL tech (which it clearly is seeing
that it slowly is leaving viewable sight at the end of tBotSS) when he
should have FTL travel (IE Heiroducle and the fact that he has an
intergalactic empire in his days)

I can think of three easy solutions to this

A) The Whorl is simply too big to use FTL drives with the ammount of energy
avaliable

B) Typhon did not build the Heiroducle (sp) nor any other ships he might
possess with FTL capabilites... rather he aquired them by trading with
Caogens (not necissarily any even spoken of in the book although the names
of the ships suggest it)...

C) I know when I am Empire of my universe I am not going to allow my
colonies to learn the secrets of FTL drives by reverse engineering my
spaceships! Thus leading towards their independance allowing them to develop
together along with spawning more colonies... eventually leading to a
rebellion and my ousting as a leader.

2) Why are no Chems around in Severain's day, and even in Typhons day? Why
didn't Typhon just download into one?

I would imagine androids are fairly rare outside of military installations
and government centers in the days of Typhon. Typhon would never download
into an android since that would be the end of his OWN existance... just
imagine that if I was to say you can live forever as a simulation on your
computer... but you have to die right now... I bet you wouldnt like that
solution. Why are Typhons Guards human? Perhaps just a carry over of
tradition... or just a symbol of power... nastagia... so on

However if I was Typhon I would just clone myself, lob off New Typhons head
and tie myself right on (of course in a very complex surgury)... however is
the body that important too you? Expecially since Typhon was probably just
some Nerdy kid body before? Why not just get a strong guy and take over his
body? Seems reasonable... except I would have gone for a martial artist...
heck ya Bruce Lee...