(urth) just reading _Book of Days_

Transentient transentient at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 19:21:52 PDT 2006

Okay I'm rapidly running out of easily-obtainable Wolfe books to
read. I've recently started on _Castle of Days,_ and I am ready to
proclaim the stories in _Gene Wolfe's Book of Days_ to be, IMO,
Wolfe's best short fiction.

I'm particularly fond of "How I Lost the Second World War and Helped
Turn Back the German Invasion," I think it is officially my very
favorite Wolfe short story. It's just a perfect little piece of
science fiction - it is alternate history, has a clever ending, a
terribly fun exposition of a logical game, contains the real world
inside of it, as a board game, and, I am convinced, that business
with the transistor is meant to explain how the real world relates to
fiction, though which side of the transistor represents which, I am
not sure.

And "Forlesen," wow, I haven't caught up on all of the more
enlightened discussions to take place on this list about that one
yet, but to me it seems like he might actually be talking about
Gnosticism in there. The day that Forlesen leads is a life in the
imperfect universe created by the Demiurge, who is either Mr Frick or
the man in the black suit who asks him which Explainer he wants.
Hmm...perhaps Forlesen is Jesus or the actual Christian God.

Right let me go catch up on those past posts before I waste too much
bandwidth speculating...