(urth) just reading _Book of Days_

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Mon Jul 31 04:40:31 PDT 2006

On Sunday 30 July 2006 22:21, Transentient wrote:
> Okay I'm rapidly running out of easily-obtainable Wolfe books to
> read. I've recently started on _Castle of Days,_ and I am ready to
> proclaim the stories in _Gene Wolfe's Book of Days_ to be, IMO,
> Wolfe's best short fiction.

I've just grabbed a whole handful of his other (ie non-solar) stuff.  5thHoC
was incredible, everything I'd expect from Wolfe.  _The Island of Doctor
Death..._ was equally impressive.  (Other than "La Befana," which I though to
be a bit of a gimmick story.)  "Innocents Abroad," however, has been ...well,
underwhelming.  It isn't _bad_ but the stories don't seem to have the depth
and impact that I expect from Wolfe.

I haven't got my hands on _Book of Days_ yet, but I will soon.