(urth) Urth geochronology

Jeffrey Lefstin jeff.lefstin at stanfordalumni.org
Sun Jul 30 16:58:36 PDT 2006

> Jeff Wilson wrote:

> More ambiguous. At one point he says Urth is "perhaps a million years
> in
> our future."

If we were really trying to deduce the age of Urth from the text, it
must be older than that.  At several points Severian mentions the lack
of volcanic activity on Urth and the solidification of the Urth's
interior.  I'm not a geologist, but a few million years, or even a few
tens of millions of years, isn't going to cut it if we assume that
volcanic activity has ceased due to natural cooling and decay.

But since Wolfe is not a hard SF writer I wouldn't make too much of it.