(urth) Ascians' Thematic Purppose

mournings glory mourningsglory at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 30 17:09:51 PST 2006

>Whether the Commonwealth is actually in South America has
>been the subject of semi-heated  discussion. While I favor the
>preponderance of evidence that suggests it is, Alga has made
>a very plausible case that -- presumably after considerable
>continental drift (which has since stopped as the centre of the
>Urth solidified) -- Nessus stands on the former site of Byzantium.

"Insofar as I was trying to create any parallels with an actual historical
period here on Earth--and obviously I wasn't aiming at developing an exact
analogy--I was thinking of Byzantium. Incidentally, I also got into troiuble
with some reviewers over my presentation of the Ascians, who were my
equivalent of the Turks. If you read the book carefully, it's clear that the
action takes place in South America and that the invading Ascians are
actually North Americans."