(urth) Ascians' Thematic Purppose

Dan'l Danehy-Oakes danldo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 16:48:28 PST 2006

What James said: plus, the idea that the Commonwealthers
thought that they came from equatorial lands, where one would
cast "no shadow" at noontime, when in fact they came from
northaway beyond the Equator.

Whether the Commonwealth is actually in South America has
been the subject of semi-heated  discussion. While I favor the
preponderance of evidence that suggests it is, Alga has made
a very plausible case that -- presumably after considerable
continental drift (which has since stopped as the centre of the
Urth solidified) -- Nessus stands on the former site of Byzantium.

On 1/30/06, James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> wrote:

> >Didn't Wolfe claim a classical origin for the word
> > Ascian?
>
> Yes, Ascian means "shadowless". Since the Ascians work for Erebus (which is
> the "darkness of Tartaros" according to Hesiod), they are ironically without
> a shadow, because they are in total darkness. To review this discussion, see
> here
> http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0208/
> http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0208/1509.txt.shtml
> http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0208/1510.txt.shtml
> http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0208/1512.txt.shtml
> http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0208/1515.txt.shtml
> etc.etc.etc.

I do not fear Satan half so much as I fear those who fear him.
                        -- St Teresa of Avila
http://www.livejournal.com/users/sturgeonslawyer