(urth) The Old Autarch and Paeon

thalassocrat at nym.hush.com thalassocrat at nym.hush.com
Mon Aug 28 16:42:18 PDT 2006

On Tue, 29 Aug 2006 08:56:46 +1000 Dan Rabin <wolfe-
lists at danrabin.com> wrote:
>I have always interpreted the passage mentioning Paeon the
>honey-steward to be saying that the Old Autarch received
>instruction
>regarding the succession from someone he knew to be an aquastor of

>Paeon, his trusted teacher from his youth.
>
>In other words, Paeon is to Old Autarch as Malrubius is to
>Severian.
>
>This has seemed completely obvious to me since my second reading
>(which was the first for catching many internal references).

A quick "me too"; I don't see how this can be in dispute, but maybe
I'm missing something.

>In case anyone needs another puzzle to speculate about, it has
>long
>annoyed me that Severian describes the Autarch on the counterfeit
>chrisos from Vodalus as androgynous, which I have (since second
>reading) always assumed to mean that it's the Old Autarch (the
>only
>one since Ymar to take the test in Yesod), yet Severian needs
>Thecla's memories to recognize the guy as the Autarch when he
>actually meets him.

And how is it that people around the House Absolute don't recognize
the the servitor as the Old Autarch? I think maybe there are some
"continuity" glitches here.