(urth) The Old Autarch and Paeon

Dan Rabin wolfe-lists at danrabin.com
Mon Aug 28 15:56:46 PDT 2006

I have always interpreted the passage mentioning Paeon the
honey-steward to be saying that the Old Autarch received instruction
regarding the succession from someone he knew to be an aquastor of
Paeon, his trusted teacher from his youth.

In other words, Paeon is to Old Autarch as Malrubius is to Severian.

This has seemed completely obvious to me since my second reading
(which was the first for catching many internal references).

Independently, I'm one of those who doesn't think that the Old
Autarch is Appian, precisely for the reason already cited that
Appian's name is mentioned as a historical autarch, but the Old
Autarch's name is never mentioned in any scene where he is present or
even definitely referred to.

I have toyed with the idea that there's some sort of taboo on names
of Autarchs during their reigns, but Severian wouldn't have to
abserve such a stricture at the time he's writing.  Perhaps he has
trouble distinguishing the Old Autarch from himself ever since the
successional encephelophagy.

In case anyone needs another puzzle to speculate about, it has long
annoyed me that Severian describes the Autarch on the counterfeit
chrisos from Vodalus as androgynous, which I have (since second
reading) always assumed to mean that it's the Old Autarch (the only
one since Ymar to take the test in Yesod), yet Severian needs
Thecla's memories to recognize the guy as the Autarch when he
actually meets him.

   -- Dan Rabin