(urth) RE: The Old Autarch and Paeon

Dr. C. Radish Mosswalls soviet.carwash at gmail.com
Tue Aug 29 10:47:32 PDT 2006

Dan said, *"In case anyone needs another puzzle to speculate about, it has
long
annoyed me that Severian describes the Autarch on the counterfeit
chrisos from Vodalus as androgynous, which I have (since second
reading) always assumed to mean that it's the Old Autarch (the only
one since Ymar to take the test in Yesod), yet Severian needs
Thecla's memories to recognize the guy as the Autarch when he
actually meets him."
*
The general impression I get is that the profile of the Autarch on the
coinage never changes. And to me it makes sense for an unchanging,
androgynous image since the Autarch isn't just one guy, but a whole group of
different people in one body. Just an idea.

-Jessie