(urth) Severian's family tree

Daniel D Jones ddjones at riddlemaster.org
Wed Aug 23 14:56:03 PDT 2006

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 11:05, b sharp wrote:
> Matthew DeLuca asks:
> >Was it ever established that Catherine was Thecla's mother?
>
> Unfortunately for those interested in Severian's family tree, it can't even
> be said that  Dorcas is Severian's grandmother.
>
> I made my guess that Catherine is Thecla's mother based largely on that one
> cryptic passage:
>
> "I played again with pebbles in the courtyard beside the fallen curtain
> wall, as Thecla dodged the hooves of my father's mounted guard."
>
> Mark Millman interprets it this way:
>
> [Severian] I played again with pebbles in the courtyard beside the fallen
> curtain wall, as Thecla dodged[Thecla overcomes Severian] dodged the hooves
> of my father's mounted guard."

I recently moved and my books are still packed, so I can't research this
myself at the moment, but what's the reason for assuming that Thecla takes
over mid sentence?  Why can't the entire sentence be read as Thecla's memory:

"I [Thecla] played again with pebbles in the courtyard beside the fallen
curtain wall, as Thecla dodged the hooves of my father's mounted guard."