(urth) Severian's family tree

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Wed Aug 23 10:38:31 PDT 2006

b sharp wrote:
>(I spent an hour last night trying to re-find that plural childhood
>statement in Urth but couldn't. Am I delusional? Help!)

The passage you refer to is on page 284, chapter XL, of URTH. It is one of
those that can be, evidently, interpreted more than one way.

"When I spoke to Tzadkiel beside the brook, I strove to be
as brief as I could; but she would not allow it, urging me
down this byway and that one until I had told her of the
small angel (of whom I had read in my brown book) who
had met Gabriel, and of my childhoods in the Citadel, at
my father's villa, and in the village called Famulorum near
the House Absolute."

I  read it this way: "Childhoods" refers to the set of memories Severian
retains. They are, respectively, his own in the Citadel, Thecla's at the
villa, and Appian's in the village.

-Roy