(urth) Information, etc

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Tue Apr 18 15:04:34 PDT 2006

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, James Wynn wrote:

> Nevertheless, this division comes to my mind a lot when
> reading Wolfe as I cannot always be sure of whether a discete
> "soul" exists in his stories rather than merely a repeated pattern
> and in what way the Increate/Outsider is injecting Himself in His
> creation. In other words, I cannot be sure of where Wolfe stands
> on the reality of materialism and spirituality. I doubt that he is in
> every way "traditional" or "orthodox" (whether one means, by
> that word, "Catholic" or merely "Augustinian".)

I think Wolfe has spent a lot of time on this, starting with meditating on
implications of the split-brain patients and of psychosurgery (where there
are induced changes in what we would have previously regarded as
characteristics of the soul), and continuing through all his
twinned-personality heroes, where there are hints about when a
single-souled person has replaced a more traditional possession type
situations.

David Duffy.