(urth) Information, etc

Matthew King automatthew at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 12:32:22 PDT 2006

On Apr 18, 2006, at 9:56 AM, James Wynn wrote:

> This division was mapped (literally) by Evangelical apologist
> Frances Schaeffer in "The God Who Is There" and "Escape
>> From Reason". Quoting Alfred North Whitehead's assertion that
> *modern* science
> could not have arisen without the world-view established by
> Judeo-Christian theology, he predicted that science as-we-know-it
> will end when we all follow this tact to its logical conclusion
> that Reason itself (founded on the premise that human
> observation is valid) is itself unreasonable.

As Karl Popper tells it, David Hume had already reached this
conclusion way back in the eighteenth century.  Hume, in trying to
justify inductive reasoning, proved it to be logically invalid.  As
Hume believed not only science, but everyday knowledge to be based on
induction, he was forced to conclude that all knowledge is
unjustifiable and logically invalid.

Epistemology since then has tended to either ignore this or glorify it.