(urth) Information, etc

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 18 11:19:09 PDT 2006

>>On 4/18/06, James Wynn <thewynns at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> ...I haven't been able to get this back and forth off my mind.
>> It so perfectly encapsulates the divide between modern
>> seculars' view of Faith as opposed to that of modern
>> observants and virtually all pre-Enlightenment Westerners.

>Dan'l Danehy-Oakes <danldo at gmail.com> replied
>H'mmm. I found your post interesting and compelling, except
>for one thing: if my "back and forth" with Christ "perfectly
>encapsulates" this divide, then I ought to find myself in one
>or the other of these two positions:

Dan'l,
I assure you I did not intend to assign teams for anyone,
let alone you. Actually, (although I didn't say so) I chose
seven-day Creationist Christians as an archetype (which
I was fairly certain did not include you) deliberately to draw
a starker line. It was the discussion that I thought
encapsulated the division, not the entire world-view and
personal syntax of the particular participants (which I
cannot know). In fact, you prefaced your response with the
assertion that you fundamentally agreed with Chris, but then
went on to write several paragrahs on what you disagreed with.
Perhaps by focusing on that disagreement I have created a
magnified illusion of your particular differences with Chris.
That illusion was inadvertant.

Nevertheless, this division comes to my mind a lot when
reading Wolfe as I cannot always be sure of whether a discete
"soul" exists in his stories rather than merely a repeated pattern
and in what way the Increate/Outsider is injecting Himself in His
creation. In other words, I cannot be sure of where Wolfe stands
on the reality of materialism and spirituality. I doubt that he is in
every way "traditional" or "orthodox" (whether one means, by
that word, "Catholic" or merely "Augustinian".)