(urth) Juturna (and nenuphars)

nastler nastler at yahoo.dk
Sun Apr 9 02:53:49 PDT 2006

Roy,

I don't think I have understand the problem with this.
>From Juturnas POV she meets Sev in the throne room and
he makes his "prophesy" that she will save him from
drowning in Gyoll. She searchs "backwards" through his
life and meets Sev at the sand bank where (among other
things) she mentions that it was (will be) her that
saves him from the weeds. When she reaches the moment
where the nenuphars attempt to drown the NS she saves
him.

Why are these plants the image of "the death of the
sun" anyway? "glossy, pale leaves and azure flower."
"black roots as fine and strong as hair, reaching down
into the dark waters". What forces are represented by
these plants? Why do they wish to drown the sun? Would
they not thrive in a sunnier Ushas? Are they
non-terrestrial? I think they must be. They are
"weeds" after all. They have roots reaching into dark
waters, but are opposed by the Undines. Who can clear
this up?

nastler