(urth) Juturna (and nenuphars)

Tristan Davenport tristan_davenport at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 9 11:02:23 PDT 2006

>Why are these plants the image of "the death of the
>sun" anyway? "glossy, pale leaves and azure flower."

There are references throughout the NS books to the paleness of the plants;
presumably the dying sun is not bright enough to stimulate chlorophyll
production.  This is contrasted with the rich green of plants under a
healthy sun.  So by the very fact of their glossy paleness, the nenuphars
reflect the dying of the sun.  Then I suppose there's the metaphorical
meaning of their role in Sev's near-drowning.  (Question: Why are the plants
on Urth pale, while those on the moon apparently quite green?)

                             Tristan
                             tristan_davenport at hotmail.com