(urth) Soldier: Hegesistratus the Lame Lycanthrope

Stanislaus sbocian at poczta.fm
Fri Apr 7 09:30:22 PDT 2006

Hello Chris,

Saturday, April 1, 2006, 11:29:12 PM, you wrote:

> Well, one thing that I supposed was possible was that Ares might have been
> possessing Latro (the way he was wont to do in the Iliad) at the time when
> Latro received his injury. And perhaps that injury prevented him from
> leaving, or recognizing who he was.

> Or maybe Latro just seems like Plesitorus because he has so much arete.

Exactly! That was the way Greeks thought of their gods - when someone
was in battle-madness, he was Ares, a bold thief was filled by Hermes
etc. Spartans didn't like Ares, by the way, because battle madness
causes the soldiers to break line, and this was the greatest crime for
them.

In Illiad it is a bit different - the gods don't possess men, but
temporarily replace them, take their shape. But Illiad is a very
literary version of Greek religion.
--
Best regards,
 Stanislaus                           mailto:sbocian at poczta.fm