(urth) Soldier: Hegesistratus the Lame Lycanthrope

Stanislaus sbocian at poczta.fm
Fri Apr 7 09:22:09 PDT 2006

Hello aramini1,

Saturday, April 1, 2006, 6:04:26 AM, you wrote:

> When I read Soldier of Arete again, it really, really seemed to me
> as if Lucius is somehow an avatar of Pleistorus, but I can't
> reconcile his home life memories with the gods.  Intersting that his
> families god was a tutelary spirit between a dog and an ape called
> Lars.  Interesting also that in Wizard Knight, the cat identifies himself as a tutelary lars.  Hmm.

Lars and Penates were the generic names of the household gods of
Rome. Those are not proper names. In other words, Latro's god was a
lars, and each family got one.

By the way, Zalmoxis was originally a sorcerer who persuaded Thracians
that he could give them immortality by staging a resurrection. He
built an underground tomb with a lot of food and lived there for a
year.
--
Best regards,
 Stanislaus                           mailto:sbocian at poczta.fm