SV: (urth) cthulhu mythos, BotNS

Andy Robertson andywrobertson at clara.co.uk
Fri Jun 3 05:49:59 PDT 2005

nastler writes:

> Small point; The book 17 Megatherians dosn't go in the
> sabertache, it stays in the library. The "corrupting"
> influence on Sev probably comes to him through Thecla,
> who is a good bet for having read 17 Megs...
>
> I'd like to hear more discussion about the Great Old
> Ones / Elder Gods. I think it's only been referenced
> before, not chewed to the marrow the way things are
> usually done on this list....  :-)
>
> nastler

I honestly don't think there is much direct reference.

However, Lovecraft's "Old Ones" were really non-supernatural alien entities
of such power that they could not be distinguished from gods, from the human
perspective.

It's arguable that he was the first really influential writer to do this -
to address the idea of gods, from a rigorously non-supernatural perspective.

Wolfe has many non-omnipotent "gods" of this type: Erebus and Abia are
godlike in their power as far as humans are concerned, but there is nothing
really supernatural about them.

.