(urth) Ending of The Knight

stilskin acronus at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 12 15:23:25 PST 2005

--- Gregg <gwbest328 at RCN.COM> wrote:

> He didn't offer a definition of who "everyone else"
> is to him. He didn't
> seem particularly happy or unhappy that he is the
> only one who thinks The
> Wizard Knight is two books, either. It just seemed
> obvious to him, but we
> aren't getting it. A familiar situation for us, eh?

I wouldn't be so quick to accept Wolfe's statements at
face value here (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Wolfe, like Able, holds loyalty to be a prime virtue,
and whatever went on between him and TOR in the
process of bringing TWK to publication, he is likely
to regard it as private, and would probably not say
anything publically that might seem, whether to him or
to others, disloyal to his longtime editor and friend,
David Hartwell.  But it seems unlikely to me that an
artist of Wolfe's caliber could consider The Wizard to
be a book capable of standing on its own, without The
Knight.  What I believe to be the case is that Tor
split this book in two for commercial reasons, as they
have done with a number of other books they consider
too long (many of which, coincidentally or not, are
also edited by Mr. Hartwell).  And let's not forget
his role in the expansion of Wolfe's original Torturer
ms.

paul

=====
http://www.sff.net/people/stilskin