(urth) The Wizard - questions

stilskin acronus at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 12:54:11 PST 2005

Yes, I see we do agree.  Able is in Aelfrice at the
end of The Wizard Knight (and indeed, at its
beginning).  But where he is bound after the close of
the book is, I think, open to question.

It's certainly possible that Michael has come to fetch
Able in order to serve the Valfather in his
Ragnarok-like battle against the Frost giants. I don't
find this a satisfying conclusion.

It's possible that Able is being returned to
Mythgarthr.  This seems thematically pointless.

It's possible that Michael is bringing Able to Kleos,
but I'm not sure what battle he would be fighting
there, and against whom.  Is there a Lucifer-like
rebellion against the Most High God taking place?

I was never sure if Michael, once having left Kleos,
was able to return to it.  He mentions being cast out,
or an exile, like Able, and implies that he has been
exiled for the sin of pride.

Wolfe's system of rising to the levels above one's
"home" level seems to break down above Skai; at least,
we never hear of anyone rising to Kleos, though we
hear of many falling from that height (i.e., the
Valfather and others).

Parka's bowstring provides a link back to our world
(of America, Macs, etc.).  Able dreams of this world,
and of himself in it (in an ambulance, among other
things).  There is clearly a lot of back and forthing
between America and Mythgarthr; it's probably
significant that Able never looks at himself while
wearing the helmet.

In any case, I don't understand why Wolfe would stress
so many links to America if it didn't play an
important part in the novel, and moreoever in the
resolution of the novel.  That's why I'm trying to
decide whether it's possible that Michael is fetching
Able to serve some knightly function in America -- the
America of today.  I think it is possible, based on
the text.  But I don't have any proof that's what
Wolfe intends.

Paul

=====
http://www.sff.net/people/stilskin