(urth) The Wizard - questions

Nathan Spears spearofsolomon at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 13:14:54 PST 2005

James Wynn said:

> The ambulance? That's Arthur Ormsby being taken to the hospital of course!
> They found him in a coma possibly near death from hypothermia in that valley
> where the Moss Aelf took him. Presumably, when he reaches the Most High God,
> he will awake.

I've been mulling on this, and I think you're saying that he's going to wake up in
America to discover that he's still a young boy, similar to King Peter and the rest
in Narnia reverting to children after their adventures.  Honestly, if this is what
Wolfe intends then I feel cheated.  Is this guesswork on your part or are there more
clues pointing that direction in the text?  It feels a little small somehow.

Then again, it does point to a Christian interpretation of the text in small ways:
"a great lord requires service from a knight," or however that went.

> it's probably
> significant that Able never looks at himself while
> wearing the helmet.

I thought it was very significant that he did look at himself while wearing the
helmet.  He looked at his reflection in the water (seeing Disiri as a human woman
next to him) just before he cast the helmet far out into it.  He sees himself as a
knight and not a small boy, which was what he expected to see.