(urth) Honor

James Wynn thewynns at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 1 20:03:23 PST 2005

>But what was Able's point in telling Leort the story? And how did Able get
> from Valhalla to Camelot, if that's the path he took?

I agree with hartshorn that this occurred in Skai in "the Age of Legends"
(to borrow a "Time Bandits" term).

What was the point? Well, that depends to some degree on what Wolfe thinks
the *meaning* of the Green Knight story is. It was intended to waive Leort
off from taking his horse and Eterne as Able was warning him against, right?
But as is often the case with Wolfe's heroes, the truth is useless because
it is never credible.

Perhaps the story only "meant" that Able was an Overcyn and should be
heeded...or that unless Leort is capable of having his head removed and
still keeping an appointment the following year, anything he gets from Able
will be more than he can handle.