(urth) Honor

Roy C. Lackey rclackey at stic.net
Sat Dec 3 09:59:56 PST 2005

I've about exhausted this topic, but wanted to make one more observation.

Able, while still a stripling, didn't like the way he was treated by Svon.
The clash of personalities lead to their fighting, though Svon, as a
knight's squire, must have ranked further up the social ladder than a
homeless peasant. Just a day or so later Able was made big by Disiri. His
clothes would no longer fit him, so he went, naked, to the village. The
elder Toug laughed at him and was knocked down, and Able began lording it
over people. I wonder if Wolfe was consciously fleshing out a metaphor
here -- showing that Able was literally "too big for his britches".

-Roy