(urth) BotNS in German

Hmpf MacSlow hmpf1998 at gmx.net
Sun Dec 5 15:03:11 PST 2004

At 11:59 PM 12/5/2004, you wrote:
>Well, barbican, to me, is pretty familiar- familiar enough I didn't even
>notice that it was supposed to be obscure. This is probably because I used
>to read a lot about castles and barbican is about the only other word used
>to describe 'gate'.  But some are pretty obscure- previously I'd never
>seen 'autarch' used as a noun (only as a small area of politcal
>theory-'autarchy') & I'm still not sure if 'lictor' is a real word.

AFAIK, a lictor was some kind of Roman official.

Autarch, I think, may be Wolfe's creation, though. It's 'Autarch' in the
German translation, too.

Okay, and it definitely looks like the German version of the word is more
obscure...

Well, of course there's still the option of translating it as 'Torvorwerk',
but that would also lose the flavour...

Hmpf