(urth) Interlibrary Loan

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 06:35:09 PDT 2019

Of course there has to be an editorial review. I just have a low estimation
of the general competence of human beings, and Wolfe’s super tricky use of
pronouns makes his final review an essential part of the process now
forever cut off. (Ex: my reading of the name many pink butterflies and
“they did not know open hands meant no weapons” vs “Mary pink butterflies”
and “he did not know open hands meant no weapons” makes my reading of Fifth
Head significantly stronger for the Ace edition - and the amount of
exegesis devoted to Mary Pink Butterflies, an erroneous change, is quite
frankly astonishing. There are three or so other obvious typos fixed in the
ace edition, including a beast which is obviously something like 1500
pounds being listed as like 15 pounds in every edition but the Ace, so I am
confident in the most pure text.  Hartwell did not understand the blending
of character into character in Wizard Knight as part of the dream
palimpsest, so years and years ago when I thought about exploring how Setr
could be Garvaon in Wizard Knight someone wrote Hartwell to try to prove it
was a typo, which Hartwell believed it to be at that point. Nasty time on
the list. It wasn’t a typo, though I wouldn’t understand how Gavaon could
be Setr until more than a decade later.) The editorial changes to my
complete last sentence in Soldier of Mercy made it a nonsensical fragment,
which irks me to this day. Of course if I had a lengthier publication
history that would fade, but I can probably never expect another Tor or
major publishing house one.

Operation Ares was butchered before Wolfe was a name. I hope to avoid that
for his last.

However, what was the state of Wolfe’s manuscript?
This is a consideration I am in no position to judge without reading it
about five or six times in a row.