(urth) Severian of Gabala

António Pedro Marques entonio at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 06:06:32 PST 2018

No dia 17/01/2018, às 23:16, Keith Sadler <kthsdlr at gmail.com> escreveu:

> One rather unhelpful friend suggested that Gene Wolfe was writing in a pre-Google era

Unlike the authors your friend may be familiar with, Wolfe comes form a school of writers who knew more stuff decades ago than google will know in this foreseeable future. I don’t know how they did it, but they did. Nowadays many can do it.

> and thus it might be coincidence? I think I can be fairly certain that there is very little happenstance that Gene Wolfe offers in his worlds.

Very, very little is how I’d put it. Whatever is random is there just for the purpose of having a tiny bit of randomness in an otherwise stiflingly structured ball of thread.

That said, carrying the name of some historical person doesn’t mean the character is that person. In the case of this bishop, I’d sooner seem him as an inspiration for Gurloes (would that make Chrysostom an inspiration for Palaemon or Severian even?), but that’s flimsy.