(urth) Latro

Fernando Q. Gouvea fqgouvea at colby.edu
Tue Apr 28 07:55:01 PDT 2015

And in fact plenty of evidence against it, including in ancient (but
post-New Testament) Christian writings.

I'll restrain myself from commenting on those sermons. Sheesh.

Fernando

On 4/27/2015 1:23 PM, Dan'l Danehy-Oakes wrote:
> I've heard that about the needle's eye gate, too, but according to
> Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eye_of_a_needle#Gate), there's
> no real evidence for it.
>
> On Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 10:13 AM, Norwood, Frederick Hudson
> <NORWOODR at mail.etsu.edu <mailto:NORWOODR at mail.etsu.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I no longer go to church, but when I did the sermons were mostly
>     about the importance for Christians to always vote for the
>     Republican party.  I remember one sermon about the camel passing
>     through the eye of a needle.  The preacher explained that "the eye
>     of a needle" was the name of the gate that the rich used to enter
>     Jerusalem and so the point of the parable is that naturally the
>     rich would use that gate to enter heaven.
>
>     Rick

Fernando Q. Gouvea         http://www.colby.edu/~fqgouvea
Carter Professor and Chair
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Colby College              Editor, Carus Mathematical Monographs
5836 Mayflower Hill        Editor, MAA Reviews
Waterville, ME 04901       http://www.maa.org/publications/maa-reviews

  When a nation's chief domestic product consists of greed, lust, oppression, cruelty, and lies, it needs to be salted until every green thing has withered.
   -- Peter Leithart