(urth) The Southern Reach

Matthew Keeley matthew.keeley.1 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 16:07:16 PDT 2014

I liked the series very much. I think the first and third books are the
best, but I admired all three volumes, and I suspect I would enjoy the
second volume more if I were to reread it.

Vandermeer has a real talent for the unnatural, but I've rarely encountered
a sf writer who is so good on nature in its quotidian and sublime aspects.
I think in a parallel universe, he's one of the most acclaimed nature
writers, a Peter Mathiessen or Annie Dillard.

And perhaps that talent for the quotidian carries over into the book's
ending: We don't see the puzzle put together, we don't even see all the
pieces, but don't we have that experience everyday? "Acceptance" isn't the
same as giving up.

-Matt

On Sun, Sep 21, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Antonin Scriabin <kierkegaurdian at gmail.com