(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 11:13:06 PDT 2014

>Marc Aramini: That thing under the mine might very well be one of these

>Abaia/Erebus/Arioch creatures stirred to wakefulness. The toothy description

>of the cave formation really does match Baldander's dream pretty well. I agree

>there is very little distinction between all these guys as they appear in the text.

I think we are on the same page.

>Undines are associated with Night in that first scene through Juturna's interference.

>Whether she is actually related to the Lilith like Jahi in Eschatology and Genesis is less

>clear.

Jahi is a demon and Wolfe specifically refers to Juturna as a demon in UotNS so I assume

that (and the female gender and temptress role) is your basis of connection. Given the

Biblical nature of demons, I think it is a fair guess to assume they are of the same ilk.

Here is a tummy-turner: Jahi and The Contessa Carina  are played by the same actress,

Jolenta (echo of Juturna?). The Contessa is later in UotNS (on the Path Of Air) linked to

Severian's mother Catherine. Does that suggest anything about Severian's ancestry?

That speculation aside, I find a not so speculative  connection between the fanged demon

 Jahi, played by a busty redhead in BotNS and the vampiric Jahlee who takes the form of a

busty redhead in Short Sun. I definitely think Wolfe is using SilkHorn and his retinue's travels

 to Urth to say something about the nature of Severian's unusual and mysterious family tree.

(two of Borski's prime candidates for "Severa" are hinted at in those Silkhorn travels, Merryn

the witch and Jolenta, via Jahi and Jahlee.)