(urth) Tzadkiel's form

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 08:55:10 PDT 2014

Okay, all I was implying was that the undines are known as the brides of
Abaia.  This scene is where Sev is rescued by the undine Juturna, who casts
him up, and he sees the statue of Night when he comes back to
consciousness.  Later, in the story of the Student and His Son, the woman
who helps the son is a daughter of Night working against her father, and
the naviscaput seems to be like the giant thing issuing orders at the end
of Citadel of the autarch - probably Abaia.
Undines are associated with Night in that first scene through Juturna's
interference.  Whether she is actually related to the Lilith like Jahi in
Eschatology and Genesis is less clear.

After Sev awakens something in the mine at Saltus, he speculates that he
knows why Abaia has tried to enlist him in this battle, or something to
that effect.  That thing under the mine might very well be one of these
Abaia/Erebus/Arioch creatures stirred to wakefulness. The toothy
description of the cave formation really does match Baldander's dream
pretty well. I agree there is very little distinction between all these
guys as they appear in the text.

Spring Wind being half plant caught me a bit off guard - I obviously hadn't
read that since I devised the man-tree hybrid scheme of Short Sun.
Definitely those embedded stories would have told us the real plot and its
denouement in a world in which Urth of the New Sun was never written, but
they are still somewhat opaque in their syncretic blending of stories of
Mowgli, Moses, myth, and more.  What is the Red Flower, the rose without
thorns, which gives birth to Spring Wind?  Severian's Claw of the
Conciliator probably winds up being the thorn of a flower dipped in his
blood.