(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Oct 17 09:26:37 PDT 2014

>One may imagine knights, rooks vs bishops, and of course queens. Even pawns can capture

>en passant.

Plus, if a pawn makes it to the end of the board, they can be brought back as a more powerful

piece. I think Wolfe intends this analogy for Severian (The Conciliator/New Sun) after he returns

from Yesod.

---Good one. Except he's almost more like a queen, at least after he becomes a god (see below).

>Knights are especially prominent (Jonas) and yet especially limited. Which best represents the

>Green Man?

As per my discussion with Jeffrery, I see The Green Man as a rook (without horizontal abilities),

able to make unlimited moves up and down one timeline (Urth to Ushas) but not able to explore

alternate realities, like Ragnarok. I think this in part because The Green Man is intent on "helping"

Severian.

---Works for me.

>Note that kings are basically important pawns that can move backward as well as castle.

Hm, that's a toughie. Maybe Severian is most like a King, at least before he reaches Yesod. He

can move a space backward or forward in time when he does his healing trick with the Claw.

---He already has become Autarch, which is a mundane sort of king, weaker than a queen. But almost from the beginning, he can move backward as you say, even before he elevates again after his apotheosis.

Funny how this turns some basic assumptions on their heads. A medieval king was a "temporal" power, bound by time, while popes were a sort of spiritual emperor. Severian is also a creature of time (only the Increate is not) but is not bound by it.