(urth) Theism Supports Free Will Better than Materialism Does

Lee severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 17 08:56:47 PDT 2014

 "Tzadkiel compares Severian, as a human, to a pawn. I take the chessboard to be the symbol
for time. Humans (normally) like a pawn on a chessboard, can only move forward and one
space at a time."

>David Stockhoff:

>That's a handy analogy, if not a complete system.

Yes, I think Wolfe meant it only as a rough starting point. I've made some of the extrapolations

you make myself but you raise some interesting questions.

>There do seem to be essential limitations on all the time-traveling characters.

Except for The Increate? (who may not be a "character" and probably doesn't need to "travel"

being in all places and all times simultaneously).

>One may imagine knights, rooks vs bishops, and of course queens. Even pawns can capture

>en passant.

Plus, if a pawn makes it to the end of the board, they can be brought back as a more powerful

piece. I think Wolfe intends this analogy for Severian (The Conciliator/New Sun) after he returns

from Yesod.

>On the other hand, no chess pieces travel only backward as do Ossipago et al.

True although it has been argued that B, F and O must travel forward in time at least long enough

to converse with Severian and watch a play, etc.

>Knights are especially prominent (Jonas) and yet especially limited. Which best represents the

>Green Man?

As per my discussion with Jeffrery, I see The Green Man as a rook (without horizontal abilities),

able to make unlimited moves up and down one timeline (Urth to Ushas) but not able to explore

alternate realities, like Ragnarok. I think this in part because The Green Man is intent on "helping"

Severian. Doesn't the concept of "helping" become superfluous if you can explore various timelines

in which any outcome can happen?

>Note that kings are basically important pawns that can move backward as well as castle.

Hm, that's a toughie. Maybe Severian is most like a King, at least before he reaches Yesod. He

can move a space backward or forward in time when he does his healing trick with the Claw.

And he being replaced by an Eidolon is sort of like castling.