(urth) barrington interview

Jeffery Wilson clueland.com jwilson at clueland.com
Thu Oct 9 13:52:55 PDT 2014

On 10/9/2014 7:04 AM, Norwood, Frederick Hudson wrote:
> I think you are also confusing math with its applications.  Pure mathematics consists of a set of axioms, a set of definitions, and the theorems that follow logically from those axioms and definitions.  The logic involved is called a mathematical proof.  For mathematics to be untrue, you need a case where the following happens.  You know that if A is true, then B must be true.  You know A is true.  But it turns out B is false.

We have that now, it's the difference of validity (true in every
circumstance under consideration) to satisfiability (true in some
circumstances). There are various algorithms to work these out in modern
logical theory, though not every conjecture's provability can decided,
which is part of what separates it from the classical logic theory.

--
Jeff Wilson - < jwilson at clueland.com >
A&M Texarkana Computational Intelligence Lab