(urth) Cloud Atlas and Typhon

David Duffy David.Duffy at qimr.edu.au
Sun May 18 17:32:22 PDT 2014

On Sun, 18 May 2014, Carter, Nicholas (British Council) wrote:

> The extracts above are of course closer in voice to Riddley Walker than
> Severian, and I've found no reference at all to Wolfe in Mitchell's
> interviews. Mitchell freely confesses to pastiche in the novel, (Hoban,
> William Gibson, Chandler, Isherwood, Melville etc ) and so I think it's
> unlikely he's referencing BoTNS. He comes from the tradition of literary
> authors dabbling in science fiction, anathema to many SF fans. However,
> he does at least, in Borges, Lewis Carroll, Nabokov and others, share
> some of the same influences as Wolfe. I wonder how the two authors'
> separate paths led them to haunted mountain tops and the preserved
> artefacts of a crumbled, self-defeating civilisation, presided over by
> the preserved body of a hubristic 'king'.

I don't think, based on interviews and on reading _Ghostwritten_ and
_Cloud Atlas_, that one can regard him as a dabbler, but his main
interests lie in other directions...

http://www.theparisreview.org/interviews/6034/the-art-of-fiction-no-204-david-mitchell

INTERVIEWER Did you, like Jason, write poetry under a pseudonym for the
parish newsletter?

MITCHELL I did.

INTERVIEWER Was your pseudonym the same as Jason’s: Eliot Bolivar?

MITCHELL James Bolivar—after a character created by an American
science-fiction  writer, Harry Harrison. I’ve never told anyone that
before. You can see why.

Cheeres, David Duffy.