(urth) Cloud Atlas and Typhon

Nicholas Carter sniffer8 at live.com
Sun May 18 16:49:08 PDT 2014

I have one question to start: is Mitchell Catholic?From a Mitchell interview:Q: Faith plays an important role in your books, what's your own attitude towards religion?A: I am a kind of secular Buddhist. I meditate and find it very helpful, and Buddhism doesn't ask me to sacrifice my rationality or my common sense, it doesn't ask me to believe the impossible. I find it helpful to keep my mind under control, sane and calm. What happens after we die — I don't know, and I'm happy not to know. I feel I have no choice but to not know. Buddhism doesn't care if I don't accept its cosmology, I don't have to believe it all.
Eternal Recurrence, in a non-Nietzschean sense, is one of the tropes of Cloud Atlas.