(urth) The outsider (Lovecraft)

António Marques entonio at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 08:43:53 PDT 2014

Hi.
For some reason, I'd never read this short piece. Now I'm trying to fill
the blanks in some authors, I've come across it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(short_story)
http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/o.aspx

And you know what? The language rings very Wolfean. At first sight, it's a
lame gothic tale. And there's really nothing hidden below that. But it can
also be a lot of things if you want to read them into it.
What I find interesting is that not only it could have been written by
Severian, up to the last word, some imagery is very evocative. And then the
words themselves. I'd have a very hard time believing the corpses that
*strewed* Severian's battlefield came from anywhere else, even if the image
is different, but what got me wondering was if, with such gleaning going
on, the name 'Outsider' has got some connection with this story too. Yes,
at first sight there's no relationship to be found.
I couldn't find any discussion of this story in connection to Wolfe - after
all, why should there be?. Do you know of any? All I could find were
analyses of 'An Evil Guest', which I have yet to read.