(urth) The outsider (Lovecraft)

Fred Kiesche godelescherbach at gmail.com
Mon Jun 30 08:47:08 PDT 2014

If it's Wolfean, then Wolfe is Lovecraftian and--more to the core--Poesian,
as this was definitely one of Eich-Pee-El's pieces most inspired by E.A.
Poe.

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 11:43 AM, António Marques <entonio at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> For some reason, I'd never read this short piece. Now I'm trying to fill
> the blanks in some authors, I've come across it:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Outsider_(short_story)
> http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/o.aspx
>
> And you know what? The language rings very Wolfean. At first sight, it's a
> lame gothic tale. And there's really nothing hidden below that. But it can
> also be a lot of things if you want to read them into it.
> What I find interesting is that not only it could have been written by
> Severian, up to the last word, some imagery is very evocative. And then the
> words themselves. I'd have a very hard time believing the corpses that
> *strewed* Severian's battlefield came from anywhere else, even if the image
> is different, but what got me wondering was if, with such gleaning going
> on, the name 'Outsider' has got some connection with this story too. Yes,
> at first sight there's no relationship to be found.
> I couldn't find any discussion of this story in connection to Wolfe -
> after all, why should there be?. Do you know of any? All I could find were
> analyses of 'An Evil Guest', which I have yet to read.

F.P. Kiesche III

Husband, Father, Good Cook. Reader. Keeper of abandoned dogs. Catholic
Liberal Conservative Militarist. Does not fit into a neat box or category.
"Ah Mr. Gibbon, another damned, fat, square book. Always, scribble,
scribble, scribble, eh?" (The Duke of Gloucester, on being presented with
Volume 2 of The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire.) Blogging at Bernal
Alpha. On Twitter as @FredKiesche