(urth) Short Story 71: Silhouette

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Jul 29 11:00:21 PDT 2014

On 29/07/2014 07:25, Marc Aramini wrote:
> As I said, if there is any physicist who can help with the time quanta
> paragraph, that would be great.  It seems that the overmonitor is
> saying existence is dependent on the  emission of time quanta, and as
> such that discontinuous but "real" existence can spring up wherever
> the wave function of a body travels as long as a time quanta is
> emitted at that point.  Right?

My impression is that Wolfe is just putting in a bit of sciency
justification for teleportation.

 > On looking at Grit's disappearance again, it seems that she actually
has gone
 >  to get the escape tender and bring it to the hydroponic jungle for
the Captain
 >  and Johann so that the overmonitor cannot stop their escape.  However,
 >  there is no mention of her in the escape pod when they open it, and
this is a
 >  bit disorienting.  Is she there at all when it is jettisoned?

She teleported away (with the help of her shadow, obviously) as they
were walking to the escape pod.  Only Johann and Gerta noticed. They
send the Captain and Elis off to NeuerDraht; presumably Grit is
somewhere on the ship, or on the planet but with the ability to teleport
back.

- Gerry Quinn