(urth) May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Mon Jul 28 14:27:15 PDT 2014

On 28/07/2014 21:54, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Doesn't have to be a lie if something else can explain it. "Nope,
> whole scene is fabricated." Why two species of alien if both won't be
> used? Wolfe likes very elaborate games or there would be only one
> imitative species. There's a reason we can still argue about it after
> 40 years though. The puzzles are sometimes over constructed and offer
> a nice false conclusion as well.

When you kill someone (or he dies alone) and you steal his identity, you
need to fabricate a story of your own death, and explain why the body
can't be found.  There's a logical  reason for this lie.

There is only one imitative species.  "Once there was a people using
their hands - when they had hands - only to take food" - that's the
Sainte Anne aborigines before humans came.  "There came among them a
people who crossed from star to star" - that's the original human
discoverers, who were imitated by the aborigines, and who themselves
(d)evolved into the Shadow Children.

That's the only time, I think, when the Old Wise One uses the third
person, and the last sentence of the paragraph explains it: "Once I was
sure I knew who the first were, and the second; now I am no longer
sure."  The Shadow Children's numbers have been reduced to three, and
the mind of the OWO is constructed increasingly from Sandwalker's.

- Gerry Quinn