(urth) May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gwern Branwen gwern at gwern.net
Mon Jul 28 08:30:48 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 4:40 AM, Mo Holkar <mo at holkar.net> wrote:
> Given Wolfe's preoccupations, it seems likely he is reading this as
> referring to the crucifixion, which Christ spends in the company of two
> thieves; and after three days he is returned to life.

It's hard not to read _Island of Dr Moreau_ as a twisted Garden of
Eden scenario: a tropical paradise isolated from the rest of the
world, overseen by a benevolent creator, who raises up animals into
men who think and reason and have 'knowledge of Good and Evil' and try
to give in to the temptations they face such as predation. Of course,
Moreau is merely human and so it's doomed to go worse than the
original Garden of Eden. I'm far from the first to make that
comparison, and Wolfewiki remarks in the connected story "The Island
Of Doctor Death And Other Stories"
http://www.wolfewiki.com/pmwiki/pmwiki.php?n=Stories.TheIslandOfDoctorDeathAndOtherStories
that

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM, Fernando Q. Gouvea <fqgouvea at colby.edu> wrote:
> It's a very interesting interview, much less cagey than usual for Wolfe. The
> straightforward "He's a ghost" about Weer, and even more the statement that
> Marsch "knows he's not a real Earthman, but he's trying to talk himself into
> believing that he is".

Yes, I was struck by that too. Maybe he's too tired to be as playful
as he used to be.

--
gwern
http://www.gwern.net