(urth) Fuligin?

Mo Holkar mo at holkar.net
Wed Jul 16 06:59:39 PDT 2014

Hydrargyrum is the Latinized Greek name for mercury, hence its
chemical symbol Hg. The 'gyr' is just part of 'argyros', Greek for silver.

My understanding is that everything described about this liquid in
the text is satisfied by mercury, so there seems no reason to
consider it to be anything different.

It's not the same (it seems to me) as where he calls a riding beast
by the name of a prehistoric animal and so we must understand it's
not that animal and nor is it a horse. Hydrargyrum is not an ancient
substance predecessor to mercury; it's an archaic name for precisely
contemporary mercury.

Mo