(urth) Baptism and Confirmation: Shadow of the Torturer: Chapter I

marcobadie at katamail.com marcobadie at katamail.com
Fri Aug 22 00:10:43 PDT 2014

My third post at the Urth list.
Thanks you, Gerry Quinn and Lee, for your comments and observations at my first posts.

My point: the double resurrection in Chapter I of Shadow of Torturer states a connection between Severian and the the dark-haired woman, just dead.

Next.
When Severian is resurrected from water by the Undine, he is baptised in the form of a baptism by immersion, unconsciously entering the congregation of the subjects of Abaia.
In the same day, Severian is confirmed in the allegiance to Abaia when he accepts the coin with the face of the Autarch from Vodalus, this time consciously making definitive the choice the Undine made for him at the baptism.
The Confirmation administered by Vodalus makes Severian  a "Soldier of Abaia" (Severian thinks himself a Vodalarius). Soldier is a derivation of Solidarius, Latin meaning someone who works for money. Solidare in Latin means "to pay" and the Roman soldiers were paid in "Solidi". Severian instead is paid in chrisos (only one).

Later, in the Claw of Conciliator, Severian will receive the sacrament of Eucharist in the form of the flesh of Thecla.
The succession of sacraments follows the tradition of the Eastern Orthodox Church rather than the Roman Catholic Church (where Eucharist is very close to Confirmation).

Marco Cecchini, from Italy (sorry for my sloppy english).