(urth) a note on allusions in In Looking Glass Castle and Cherry Jubilee

Mo Holkar mo at holkar.net
Thu Aug 21 09:53:06 PDT 2014

At 16:58 21/08/2014, Marc wrote:
>To do my due diligence in researching In Looking
>Glass Castle, I had to read Sylvie and Bruno,
>look up which stories where in The Metamorphosis
>and other stories and re-read or skim them,
>trust my memory of Maupassant and read perhaps
>a dozen random stories before coming back to the
>impression that indeed "The Horla" was being referenced,

This is a great spot, Marc, thanks! It sheds a lot of light.

It is perhaps notable that the best translation
of the invented word 'Horla' is 'Outsider'.
Maupassant's tale was surely an influence on
Lovecraft's story of that name, which could be
seen as an inversion of it -- and he cites it
approvingly in his famous essay on supernatural
horror in literature -- but it would be
surprising if it didn't also resonate with Wolfe.

best,

Mo

# ~ # ~ #

WolfeWiki -- a wiki about Gene Wolfe