(urth) Overthinking/Underthinking "The Fifth Head of Cerberus"

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Sun Aug 17 07:36:54 PDT 2014

On 17/08/2014 00:54, Marc Aramini wrote:
> Okay, but Rue d'asticot, staff like and stork like legs on the girls
> on st croix and a heron like walk to Abos, the name  port mimizon
> (sounds like mimicry)
> Which just happens to be organized after a hand with fingers and a
> thumb, the talk of a bite possibly switching eastwind and Sandwalker
> in a story by stuff swimming in their veins and Marsch also being
> bitten on the last possible friday/rogation day before Easter Sunday
> when the journal starts up again don't seem like coincidence to me.
Where do you get Easter Sunday from?  If the cat bit him on a Friday,
according to the (fake) dates in the journal, not much happened on the
Sunday.

If you accept connections that loose, you will find millions in every
direction.

Wolfe is a somewhat psychologically realistic writer; his characters use
metaphor and figurative imagery, and do not always speak literally.  In
Science Fiction, this is arguably a dangerous game to play, because
there is not the same grounding in the real world to instantly identify
figures as such.  The reader is forced to make some added effort to keep
the levels of explanation and causality in their appropriate places.

The clues I posted, they are 'hard' clues, as in a detective story. They
have a single implication and they cannot be mistaken for metaphor.  I
think the opposite is the case for what you are taking as clues.  And
what is the status of the others, in your interpretation?  Why does the
officer compare the handwriting of Marsch's journal just before the
alleged cat bite with the school composition book, and nod to himself?
That bit has no figurative meaning, it's a straightforward pointer to
the fact that Victor started writing the journal at this point.  Why do
you think Wolfe wrote this paragraph?

I noted several other such instances (and I forgot the woman, likely
Victor's mother, in the adjacent cell, though this is less definitive
anyway).

I don't see how one can ignore these and instead divine the truth of the
story from the shape of a continent or the walk of a woman!

- Gerry Quinn