(urth) Short Story 87: The Detective of Dreams

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:16:05 PDT 2014

I have always been sensitive to religious allusions, especially ones that
are similar to the almost voodoo Catholicism of my rather uneducated (but
not ignorant) grandmother, and the Detective of Dreams kind of summons that
fearful candle lighting literal symbolism I think runs a bit further
underground in a lot of Wolfe's work.  I remember being a young child and
wondering why the conciliator wasn't the reconciliator, especially with
that temptation in the wilderness scene of Typhon lifted almost line by
line from the bible.