(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Gerry Quinn gerry at bindweed.com
Tue Aug 5 09:22:54 PDT 2014

On 05/08/2014 14:54, Marc Aramini wrote:

> Seeing as how I view Shadow Children as psychically gifted and
> "empathetic" and capable of rising up in the draft of currents from
> the ground and take seriously the idea that even though they are many
> when they are confronted  they fade into "one lonely" - (ie a
> parasitic community that infects a host so thoroughly that they are
> effectively only that one being, the small things living in the mouth
> that the large Shadow Child says might switch Eastwind and Sandwalker
> when he bites them at the end of "A Story" (because he is infected
> himself and is a "shadow child", though "A Story" is a myth and is not
> realistic in all details, being symbolic in some), I feel most of your
> discussion is probably moot - the Shadow Children are only human
> insofar as they can infect them. Also, I believe Shadow Child
> infection can alter the eyes, such as the doubled pupil that seems to
> be undergoing meiosis or something after Marsch shoots the wild
> animals near the back of beyond. I don't want to argue about any of
> that stuff, but I do want to point out "all this is stated quite
> clearly in the text" when you are talking about "A Story" in Fifth
> Head of Cerberus is simply not an accurate assessment of all the
> confusing stuff  and mystical mumbo jumbo going on, where both species
> are very confused about their origin.  One is imitative, one
> infectious, and both might have come from a single source of divergent
> evolution ... or not.

There are no small creatures in the Shadow Child's mouth.  "That which
swam in my mouth swims in his veins now" is singular - it refers to the
drug plant they chew.  "And because I spoke to him and he believed me,
in his mind he is you" - drug-induced hypnosis.  And I ask again, where
do we find any reason to believe the original Marsch was infected in
some way by Victor?  He got a cat-bite that went septic, but nowhere is
infection linked to imitation.  The green eyes of the aborigines (such
as Victor) are not double-pupilled - what have they to do with the eyes
of the hippo or whatever?

I don't believe there is any confusion - we are given a quite coherent,
if unlikely, story.  The Old Wise One is never confused about his origin
until a large part of him is generated from Sandwalker's mind.  Then,
and only then, does he become confused, and in a manner consistent with
the story so far.  Note that the actual story doesn't change anyway - he
just doesn't know which of the two peoples he is - the humans who
crossed from star to star, landing on Sainte Anne, or the shape-shifting
tool-less people - Sandwalker's ancestors - they found there.

- Gerry Quinn