(urth) FW: May 2014 Wolfe interview in _Technology Review_

Marc Aramini marcaramini at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 06:54:59 PDT 2014

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 3:20 AM, Gerry Quinn <gerry at bindweed.com> wrote:

> But the planet WAS colonised by the human ancestors of the Shadow
> Children.   In their case Veil's Hypothesis is substantially true, but they
> have not yet completely died out.  Your hypothesis requires two imitative
> alien species, the death of all humans, and one of the species thinking it
> is human even to the extent of having memories of Earth (how?). And it
> ignores the fact that an alternative story that explains all this is stated
> quite clearly in the text.
>
> - Gerry Quinn

Seeing as how I view Shadow Children as psychically gifted and "empathetic"
and capable of rising up in the draft of currents from the ground and take
seriously the idea that even though they are many when they are
confronted  they fade into "one lonely" - (ie a parasitic community that
infects a host so thoroughly that they are effectively only that one being,
the small things living in the mouth that the large Shadow Child says might
switch Eastwind and Sandwalker when he bites them at the end of "A Story"
(because he is infected himself and is a "shadow child", though "A Story"
is a myth and is not realistic in all details, being symbolic in some), I
feel most of your discussion is probably moot - the Shadow Children are
only human insofar as they can infect them. Also, I believe Shadow Child
infection can alter the eyes, such as the doubled pupil that seems to be
undergoing meiosis or something after Marsch shoots the wild animals near
the back of beyond. I don't want to argue about any of that stuff, but I do
want to point out "all this is stated quite clearly in the text" when you
are talking about "A Story" in Fifth Head of Cerberus is simply not an
accurate assessment of all the confusing stuff  and mystical mumbo jumbo
going on, where both species are very confused about their origin.  One is
imitative, one infectious, and both might have come from a single source of
divergent evolution ... or not.